Kol Isha - Voice of a Woman

Rantings and ruminations in the mid-58th century. Judaism, feminism, nonprofit capacity, foreign policy, neuroscience, synagogue politics, knitting, poetry, music, mosaics and whatever else is eating at my grey matter.

Thursday, December 07, 2006

Oh, To Be Three Sheets to the Wind

Management sucks today. Dealing with egos, agendas, baggage -- losing its appeal. Especially when the lines of authority aren't clear.

Chairing a committee or board is easy. We may try to empower everyone, provide opportunities for discussion, input, etc., but everyone knows who's ultimately in charge.

But working with your boss's friends of decades, and being made the ED (as in, everyone reports to me), means a minefield awaits with every supervisory incident. I don't get told first, as I should be. I don't get asked before someone decides to take on something new that affects workflow, or make an important change. Or there are end runs around me directly to the boss. I walk on eggshells and don't feel centered. So I don't act centered, don't have confidence, don't do a good job managing. To quote my predecessor -- vayismir.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home